Did you know that Americans throw away 25% more trash from Thanksgiving to New Year than any other time of year? The extra waste is 25 million tons or about 1 million additional tons per week.
Here are some tips from the Green Committee to reduce food waste if you are hosting a holiday gathering:
- Estimate the number of guests accurately to avoid over-preparing food.
- Plan your menu and the portion sizes, and check your pantry and refrigerator - don't buy more food than you need
- Stick to your shopping list to avoid impulse buys that might not be used.
- Store perishables correctly to prolong freshness
- Invite your guests to bring reusable containers to home leftovers
- Transform leftovers into new meals like soups, casseroles, or sandwiches
- Freeze portions of dishes that won't be eaten within the next few days
- Compost appropriate food scraps like vegetable peelings and eggshells.