The Conservation Commission has endorsed the August 2023 Final Draft of the Open Space and Recreation Plan (OSRP) submitted by consultant T. J. Adamski of Tighe & Bond. You can download the PDF (204 pages) here.
The 2023 - 2030 OSRP establishes Egremont's goals and objectives for open space and recreation based on community input, recent accomplishments, experience, and priorities. This Plan coincided with the update to Egremont's 2003 Master Plan. The public questionnaires and forums were conducted jointly. Egremont's 2035 Comprehensive Plan references the OSRP.
The Final Draft proposes six OSRP Goals:
- Preserve and improve the ecological integrity of sensitive natural environments and natural resources.
- Protect and preserve Egremont's scenic and historic character.
- Target open space acquisition for connectivity, resiliency, and ecological value.
- Preserve and support local farms.
- Provide recreational opportunities for all ages and abilities.
- Provide safe bicycle and pedestrian transportation options.
The OSRP will become the official Town policy once the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) has approved the draft. The DCR reserves the right to require changes.